Monday, January 9, 2017

Hit the Ground Running

Battlecode 2017 Released

Yesterday they officially announced the specs for Battlecode 2017. Looks like a lot of fun. I'm going to have to take some time and read though this to figure out the game format for this year. The live twitch stream was cutting in and out for everyone so it was really hard to keep up with the details. However; the video should be posted there later to watch.

My Development Environment

I'm using Eclipse Neon 2 and I'm pretty new to all of this so it took me a couple hours to figure out how to get everything up and running. For awhile I was having trouble with setting up the Java Development Kit and linking up the JAVA_HOME path for Windows. I think I had it pretty confused with some old versions I had paths setup for.

Example Player Works

I was able to run the client locally to play bots against each other. So far I only have the example bot that the devs made. Now I know that everything is up and running, which was really my only goal for tonight. I even uploaded the player and tested it on the scrimmage sever to make sure even all that was working.

Next Steps

Now I need to read through all the specs to learn what is going on and setup a repo so that I can version control my code. That's my plan before sleep anyway. In tomorrow's lecture they should start showing how to work on the code for a bot.