Saturday, January 7, 2017

2017 Battlecode Registration

Registration

This is my first year to get involved with Battlecode. If you don't know what Battlecode is go and check it out. Basically it is a programming competition held each year by MIT in which coded AI bots fight each other on a virtual map.

Last year I came across Battlecode after they had already started up for the year. I watched along with several of the lectures and I tuned in for most of the competitions.

It looked like a whole lot of fun to me, so this year I decided to sign up for it. I'm not a student, so I can't compete for prizes, but that's okay with me because honestly I have no chance of being a strong competitor anyway.

Goals

You may be wondering, if I have no chance of prize money and no chance of ranking very high (or maybe at all) in the competition, what am I doing signing up?

Simple, I want to learn. I want to expand my coding skills. I'm totally okay taking on a project like this which I may completely fail at. Better to try and fail horribly than to never try at all.

If I had to pinpoint my goals for the competition it would go something like this:
  • Get something working, anything, even if it always gets beaten by the other bots and always comes in dead last.
  • Think heavily about how machine learning concepts like neural networks and reinforcement learning could come into play.

Summary

Hopefully over the next few weeks as this competition plays out I will be able to accomplish that first goal to simply get a bot working. It may not be the smartest or longest living one, but the real players could always use it as a sparring partner on the scrimmage server.

I really hope that this year one or more of the teams do try to use some machine learning techniques to train their bots and to keep them agile during fights. I will go further into my ideas and thoughts for these concepts as this progresses over the next few weeks. I will try to hash out most of my thoughts here since I have no chance of winning and there is the off chance that something found here could help the real competitors to develop their own strategies.